Monday, April 8, 2013

I Did It, and I Didn't Make a Mess




Yes, that title accurately depicts this project.

I can be a bit of a disaster when it comes to doing stuff.  It often takes me as long to clean up after a project as it did to DO the project.  So when I decided to tackle this one, I was prepared for the worst.

(say it with me)  'On Pinterest'...I saw all these cute ombre dyed shirts.  I haven't bought dye for anything for a very, very long time.  I didn't even know you could get dye other than Rit!

I picked up 2 colors (Ocean Blue and Goldfish) of Dylon dye at Joann's, and 2 tees at walmart (so, end price about $7/shirt).  I washed the shirts with no fabric softener - I don't know if it matters, but thought it safer - and left it all sit.  for about two months.

I finally got up the courage to do it, and here is the tutorial I used.  I followed her instructions and it all seemed to go as planned.  My only other advice--  keep the cold water running in the other sink. I ran the lighter end throughthe water to rinse and blend several times.  and get a few big old towels out- I used one on the sink edge so I didn't lean into the dyed water.

HUGE COMPLAINT TO HANES!!  Do we really, really need giant read tags printed into the shirt???   This is visible from the back of the shirt.  These are fine for everyday, wear around things, but if I wanted something more professional looking, I would spend more money on a really good shirt.

I think I'll be watching for other shirts to try this on- maybe a button down.  and more time in the dye.



No comments:

Post a Comment